Thursday, 10 April 2014

Moving From Blogger To A Custom Domain



Recently, I took the plunge and done something I've always wanted to do with my blog: purchase my own custom domain. I've been blogging for almost two years now, and I can say with absolute certainty that it's something I would love to pursue career-wise. To steer my blog in the right direction and generate more opportunity for myself, I changed my URL from blogspot.co.uk to .com. To me, a custom domain looks more professional and that's something I personally want to convey. I'm not in any way, shape or form detracting from those bloggers who use a Blogspot (or other micro-blogging site) URL, and I'm not saying a custom domain makes me automatically any better. I did want to write this blog post though as I did struggle a bit at first with setting up my custom domain. So for those of you who want to take this next step, read on for my advice and tips. It's actually quite simple...


STEP 1: Look for and choose a domain name registrar
There are plenty to choose from, but I went with GoDaddy. They were the first one I looked at and chose them because they were the most well-known to me. Most domain name registrars will offer you various packages, and perhaps discounts. I would recommend only purchasing what you know you will need for now, and any add-ons can be bought at a later date. The most important thing right now is to get your custom domain name chosen and set up properly.

STEP 2: Pick the package that's right for you and purchase
The package I chose was the .com Domain Name Registration (2 Years). The package is recurring which means I will be automatically charged every two years in order to keep my domain. At a total cost of £17.20, I'd say I got myself a pretty sweet deal. That's a measly £8.60 a year. I decided not to purchase any additional features, such as email storage, because I already have my own email address that I've used for several years. I'd rather keep my costs down where possible, too. So, see if your domain name of choice is available and then make the purchase.

STEP 3: Change your domain manager settings
Now we need to go into your domain manager, followed by your DNS manager. Bear in mind, different sites will have different things, so I'm trying my best to speak in general terms. You'll want to navigate to the CNAME section, and look under the heading titled 'Host'. Find the box that says www, and in the box next to it type in ghs.google.com. Make sure you save these changes. Now we can go back to the domain manager and make one final change. Tick the box that corresponds to your chosen domain and click Forward > Forward Domain. Type in your chosen URL including the www. and then hit save/ok/whatever. That's basically it. Your changes may take some time to take effect, but mines saved within the hour. I believe it can take up to 48 hours though, so just be aware your blog may experience some downtime.

STEP 4: Change your Blogger settings
Lastly, it's time to adjust your Blogger settings ever so slightly. You can do this by going to Overview > Settings > Publishing. In the box that shows your current blog address, click edit, which will then take you to advanced settings. In here, you can now change your old Blogger URL to your snazzy new one. So for instance, I changed mines to www.xglitterbomb.com. As it says, your domain must be properly registered first before this will work. You can also set up a redirect, which I would highly recommend doing. Some of my readers may not even be aware I have changed my URL, so I have put in my old Blogspot one. Therefore, anyone who types in my old URL (www.xglitterbomb.blogspot.co.uk), will automatically be redirected to www.xglitterbomb.com. Easy peasy!

STEP 5: Go live!
Ta dah! You're all set up and ready to view your blog with it's brand-spanking new custom domain. Make sure you change your links on all your social media sites especially if you have not chosen a redirect. You will also have to request for your followers to be moved over on Bloglovin so that you do not lose them. The Bloglovin team are fab at getting this done quickly and without a fuss though, so don't worry about it. Let all your followers and readers know about the change on prominent social media sites, too. If you experience any issues, remember you can always contact your domain name registar's support team by email, or phone if available.

I really hope this post helped those if you who are interested in having your own custom blog domain. I love having my own domain, and I'm sure you will too. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask in the comments or tweet me!
Have a lovely day, as always. :)

Facebook | Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. I love this! It was so helpful thank you. :)
    lavender-cola.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome :) glad you found it useful!
      x

      Delete
  2. I am totally going to attempt this tomorrow, thanks for the tips!

    Efia @ Effy Talks Life xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope it all goes smoothly for you :) Good luck!
      xx

      Delete
    2. It went really well actually and I made sure to mention you in my post!!

      xxx

      Delete
    3. Brilliant! Thanks so much for the mention :)
      xx

      Delete

I read every single comment that I get on my posts. Thank you so much for all your support. I truly appreciate every one of you! ♥ - Naomii

P.S. Any comments asking for a follow from me will be promptly deleted. My blog's comment section is not there for others to advertise. It's there for people to enjoy and for me to interact with my readers.